Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Mixed Emotions





Route 66

Today, we traveled 266 miles from Oklahoma City, OK to Clarendon, TX on I-40, which follows the old route 66. I am no longer recording the time of our travel. We get there when we get there and I usually take longer with the breaks and gas fill ups but always enjoy the ride.

Oklahoma Memorial

We visited the Oklahoma City National Memorial and learned what happens when a citizen becomes upset with the government and decides to use violence to emphasize his point. It is about everyday people and their daily activities having their world suddenly come apart. The shock of the blast was emphasized through personal accounts. The one which sticks in my mind is the supervisor who started a meeting with her colleagues at 9:00am and at 9:02am her colleagues all disappear when the side of the building falls away leaving her untouched except for a small tear in her dress.

Challenging Ride

Traveling today was challenging. I was bucking a 35-40mph headwind across the open plains in 90-degree heat. It took me back to my trip along Hadrian’s Wall in England where I leaned the bike 30 degrees or so to counteract the wind force. To add a bit more excitement, my reserve tank kicked in about 20 miles earlier due to the increased fuel burn. Looking ahead, I realized that there were no towns for the next 20 miles. It is very empty out here and I slowed to 60mph gently using the throttle and headed toward Groom, TX. I made it and at the same time visited the famous cross there that is 190 feet high. Heading toward the cross hoping I would reach the fuel stop made me very thankful when I reached the service station.