Sunday, May 30, 2010

Tornado Alley



We have continued on to Oklahoma City via Fort Smith, AR for another 524 miles in two days.

As the land becomes flat, one is more aware of the sky and its changes. As we entered tornado alley, I have been more watchful. This feeling became real when I saw a super cell thunderstorm to the east as I drove toward Fort Smith. I was tempted to take a picture but was more concerned about finding a gas station as I traveled on my 40-mile reserve tank.

On the drive to Oklahoma City, having started late, I was particularly aware of the sky conditions. Thunderstorms tend to develop in the heat of the afternoon. At about 2:30pm, the clouds began to form in a line ahead of me. I knew I had 40 miles to go and hoped the storm would not develop until I was safe in my hotel. A dark cloud did form but the road took me past it and then all the clouds broke up. I was thankful.