Sunday, June 13, 2010

The Christening






At the beginning of the trip, at the Dock Road boat ramp we put Long Island Sound water on the rear wheel of the Shadow. In Vista, CA with no convenient boat ramp available, Pat, Judy and John picked up some Pacific water for the bike christening. I was feeling out of sorts due to the rich food enjoyed the night before so I delegated the responsibility.

Officially, we have been Coast to Coast with the small ceremony conducted in Pat’s driveway today. The rear tire was carefully coated to symbolize the end of the Coast-to-Coast trip. Since the bike was not geared for off-road work and its tires are smooth and slippery on sand, I thought it was not a good idea to try to drive right to the surf line.

Even though the Coast-to-Coast goal was accomplished, I will continue the blog so you all can continue to share in our journey. We will be trailering the bike to Salt Lake City, UT and then I will ride through Utah and Colorado to Denver, CO. In Denver, we will again load the bike on a trailer for the trip across the Midwest with me riding again from Dayton, OH to home with occasional stops at friends and family.