Saturday, June 12, 2010

Mojave Desert Run







After yesterday’s ride through 103-degree heat in desert conditions, I feel much more confidant that I will have no problems with dehydration today when we cross the Mojave. I consumed about a liter and a half of water yesterday and felt fine. At speeds from 45-70 mph, with air flowing through my perforated leathers, evaporation is rapid. To stay cool, I wear a Heat Gear shirt, which allows sweat to evaporate quickly leaving me cool in the extreme temperatures.

Ever since my close call with running out of gas, I have been conservative and have closely studied the map for distances and fuel stops. The AAA triptik had a note stating “No gasoline or services available between Newbury Springs and Needles”. From traveling the area a few years ago, I remember Ludlow, CA as being a fuel stop but with the recession who knows what might have happened to that fuel stop. For insurance, I purchased a gallon gas container to give me another 55 miles of range. Judy and John followed me in the car. I have discovered range can be predicted very accurately if there is no wind and the altitude remains constant. Unfortunately the natural world does not follow those parameters and as the wind increases and altitude increases gas consumption goes up.

We agreed to refuel in Ludlow where we could safely get off the highway. When we arrived at Ludlow I was relieved to see food and fuel were available. I used my extra gallon and topped off with Ludlow, CA fuel. I was relieved. I was also able to renew my acquaintance with the Route 66 Café where a few years before my daughter Megan and I had lunch on the way to California.

The wind proved more formidable. Just outside of Ludlow I ran through a series of hills with severe wind turbulence and I hunched and tucked my body behind the windshield creating a narrow profile. The bike continued straight at a slight angle to compensate for the wind but I was constantly being buffeted hoping that a large gust would not dislodge me.