Wednesday, June 9, 2010

A Day of Contrasts





Yesterday was one of incredible contrasts: we started the morning in Gallop, NM, heading east on I40, and arrived at the Painted Desert, truly an awesome sight! The shades of rose and blue, gray and green, tan and red in all that wind and water -blasted rock were incredibly beautiful and inspiring to see. Those vistas were soon followed by the Petrified Forest, another work of Nature's art. These stone recreations of ancient trees are strewn all around the area, mostly in smaller chunks now, due to the wholesale cart-offs that have continued since they were first discovered. Even today, the park loses 1 ton of petrified rock a MONTH to tourists who just have to smuggle out a piece!

Leaving the park and getting back onto I40, we made our way to Sedona, going down 2000 feet of elevation on winding, switch-back road with tall pines on either side, pines that cling to red-rocked mountain sides and scale the cliffs. I was almost sorry I was driving, as I wanted to gawk at the scenery, but the driving was great fun. David, of course, enjoyed a super bike ride down to Sedona, nestled a cozy 4000 feet above sea level. It seems to be a high class shopper's paradise, but there is great hiking and biking, which we won't avail ourselves of - this is a rest day, for Dad and for us.

Tomorrow, on to Needles, CA, and then Vista to celebrate (my sister) Pat's birthday weekend with her and (her husband) Chuck.

A quick update: Today we took a trolley tour of Sedona and its surroundings, and in passing a local upscale shop, I glimpsed what had to be three Chihuly chandeliers – small ones – hanging in the window. I found the shop tonight, but it was closed. On closer look, I am sure they are Chihuly’s, and there is probably a market for them here. I know it’s only coincidence, but I will be on the lookout for further ‘Chihuly sightings’!

Did I mention what a great time we’re having?

Judy