Tuesday, May 18, 2010

First Leg


Before I continue the Coast-to-Coast story, I would like to send a special thank you to my family and friends for being so supportive. It has been a great experience to be part of a project that allows people to participate in an adventure and at the same time support WAIM and its clientele.

On Monday, May 17, my wife Judy and I drove down to the Waterford Dock Road Boat Launch to dip the rear wheel of my motorcycle in Long Island Sound. Bicyclists dip their rear wheel at the beginning of a coast-to-coast trip and the front wheel at their trips conclusion. I thought I would try it from a boat ramp that can be tricky as I found out.

When we arrived the tide was low and slick green algae and seaweed covered the last foot of the ramp. I imagined a scenario of dipping and then spinning the rear wheel on the wet algae causing the 500 lb motorcycle to fall down on the ramp. I reached over the slick border and dipped some water from Long Island Sound and splashed it on my rear tire. That would have to do.

Now the trip had begun with the first 45 miles completed.

Cheers,

Free Spirit

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive, and the true success is to labour" - Robert Louis Stevenson