Sunday, May 23, 2010

Southern Hospitality and Civil War



Arrived in Lewisburg, WV after a 225 mile 6 hour run. The trip took us through the beautiful horse farms of Virginia and then subjected me to the inevitable mountain thundershowers as I cut through the Blue Ridge Mountains.

After a stop at the Chancellorsville Visitor Center and experiencing the Civil War through the exhibits and video, one realizes the tremendous loss of human life which tragically reverberated through the families left behind on both sides. Poppies now grow where men fought and died and reminded me of the poppy fields in Europe which performed the same healing touch to the “Flanders Fields” of World War II.

At a lunch stop on the side of the road, I experienced “southern hospitality”. First a pickup pulled up and the fellow asked if I was in trouble. He was a biker and wanted to help. Soon another truck pulled over and again asked if I was all right. I assured them I was just having lunch. Then we had a wonderful talk for twenty minutes relating our bike experiences to each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment