Sunday, July 4, 2010

Reflections on Motorcycling II

Wind

One of my concerns on heading to the more open areas of the plain and western states was the effect wind would have on my ride. Two previous instances came to mind supporting that concern.

The first was during the mid 1960s when I owned a Honda 160cc. It was a light sport bike and weighed about 280 lbs. It was a windy day and I was riding on the level past a canyon when I was blown over to the other side of the road with a crosswind gust coming out of the canyon. The other observation took place when I drove across the country with my daughter Megan a few years ago. In New Mexico, I noticed windsocks on highways where the road left a protected area to enter a space where the wind was funneled through a narrow canyon or valley increasing its velocity. It was a visual way to warn the motorist in high wind areas.

To counteract the force of the expected wind conditions, I did have a 500 lb bike and a long wheelbase increasing stability but would it be enough? On the westward part of the trip, headwinds were the norm with an occasional light crosswind thrown in. Then I entered Utah. I had my crosswind test on my trip from Logan, UT back to Provo, UT on the way back from Utah State University. I was headed south and the weather front going through caused westerly winds and gusts of 60-80 miles per hour throughout the state of Utah. I found the bike to be very stable with the occasional lurch but I could stay in my lane. The problem was keeping my body stable on the bike. The wind did its best to push me off the bike by tugging and pulling me to the left. By tucking in my arms, pressing my legs against the gas tank and ducking down behind the windscreen, I was able to reduce wind drag. Keeping my speed up like one does when landing an airplane in a strong crosswind, I was able to keep the bike on the road. At the same time, in the back of my mind I was preparing myself for that unseen rogue gust making all my preparation for naught. Fortunately it never came.

Winds were also friendly on the trip. I remember heading east and suddenly realizing how much more acceleration with less throttle I had with a 20-30 mile an hour wind behind me.