Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Gearing Up

Head First

The first priority in motorcycle riding is to protect the head. A full Scorpion helmet was an excellent fit and provides adequate protection from those sudden stops. Having been through the motorcycle training, there is no question in my mind that a helmet is mandatory. Under the helmet, wearing earplugs filters out the wind and exhaust noise so one tires less easily on a long ride. With the Fog City press on face shield filter, the sun’s rays are blocked enabling one to see better and avoid a very painful sun burn. I also have a merino wool baklava for really cold days that can be worn under the helmet.

Leather versus Skin

Having had the experience of sliding on the pavement after my motorcycle lost traction in a curve; a full leather suit was desired. That was one of the conditions I promised to keep if I ever got back into the sport. Thinking that a full leather suit would be too hot, I gave up the idea until I met a motorcyclist touring with a perforated leather suit. It provided good ventilation and still gives one the protection of leather. I have ridden in 92-degree weather and it is not uncomfortable as long as one keeps riding! The Joe Rocket suit I use has nylon in the non-impact zones and heavy leather and armor in the more exposed areas like the elbows, knees, etc.

Rain, Rain, Rain

Good Gore-Tex waterproof motorcycle boots with no slip soles provide the grip when you have to back the bike up on a hill. They also protect the feet and ankles from bumps and exhaust pipe burns. Continuing the water proof theme, a Gore-Tex full nylon rain suit which breaths provides not only protection from water but also cuts the wind on a cold day.

Gripping Tale

Three different pairs of gloves cover weather encountered. One pair is water and wind proof. Another pair is wind proof and has good insulating properties for the colder weather. The last pair is perforated leather for summer riding. In addition to the weather, the gloves protect the hands from flying debris and “road rash” in the case the bike is dropped unexpectedly.
Wearing of the Gaudy Green
Since I continue to read about the comment “I did not see the motorcyclist!” mentioned in motorcycle accidents, I decided I needed to enhance my visual presence on the road. A lime green vest similar to the ones worn by public safety personnel completes my ensemble. I have noticed that people tend to give me space. I like to believe they think I am an off duty policeman riding a motorcycle and don’t wish to find out.

No matter what the weather, by gearing up, I can enjoy a comfortable and safe ride.

Cheers,
Free Spirit

No comments:

Post a Comment